Sunday, July 17, 2011

Expedition leader joins the pilgrimage

Dear reader, I have great news. I stopped in Barstow, California to pick up an experienced, seasoned traveler who is fully bilingual (Spanish & English), with numerous contacts in the “old country” -- my 84 year-old mother, Mary de Grijalva. She enthusiastically accepted the position of honorary expedition leader. 
I hear you: “Manny de your kidding”, “No way is an 84 year-old able to make the journey”, “Are you crazy, eighty-four years old!”
My response is: you don’t know my mother. She is committed to making the odyssey to at least New Mexico, with the possibility of taking over for me, if I’m unable to continue the pilgrimage. I received the “travel” gene from her.

Mary de leading the way

Car, bus, train, and walking are modes I use to get to Barstow. Watsonville, Salinas, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, Barstow California -- all stops on the way to the edge of the world. It was fun and exciting to ride the train through costal California, and into the desert. I highly recommend a train ride. 

"All aboard" to the train to the edge of the Americas

Window to the world of adventure

People you meet on trains
I had the opportunity to share stories with Herb -- retired school teacher, 65 year-old athlete, great conversationist, knowledgeable about life, history, with an expansive world view, very much concerned with children and the state of education in California. I learned from Herb (thank you). He graciously offered me my first meal on this overland excursion. A delicious, sweet -- I was hungry -- pop tart. My first free meal.
I met Cindy. A cutting-edge math professor who mentors and teaches at a California State University. Also, an athlete who is a master swimmer preparing for an ocean race. She exhibits courage, strength, self assurance and is the right person to be leading youth into the 21st century. For summer, she manages and is the visionary behind a program that prepares undergraduates for graduate studies in mathematics. “For many students they are the first to go to college and come from underrepresented populations, like Latinos.”
I asked her what does “America” mean to you. “I try not to use the term”, because in certain circles it makes people uncomfortable. We’ve taken over the terms, America and American, but I know it means more than just the United States. It excludes the rest of the people in the Americas. There are North, Central, and South Americans. Though I think most people in Latin American countries either refer to themselves regionally, like “I’m Columbian” or use tribal labels, “I’m Quiche” (a Mayan tribe). Yes, my thoughts exactly.
I also met a young adventurous fellow, Andrew from Belgium, on route to visit his grandmother. He travels 9,000 miles (one-way) to go home. He convinced me that our pilgrimage of 12,000 miles is doable.

Sure beats driving through Southern California

All these fine souls wished me safe journey and success on my excursion. I encourage everyone to get out of our cars, hop on a train, talk with the person next to you, or in front, or behind you. You will be uplifted to know that our country is populated with caring, intelligent people making a positive difference in our society. I want to be more like Herb, Cindy, and Andrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment